This paper deals with the design, implementation and use of programming languages. Topics will be selected from the following:
- the history and future of programming languages
- grammars and parsing techniques
- language implementation issues (interpreters, compilers, garbage collection)
- practical language semantics
- language support for object-orientation
- declarative programming languages
COMP200 Computer Systems and one of
COMP203 Programming with Data Structures or
COMP241 Software Engineering Development
This is an open-source textbook---we will be working through some of it during the course.
"The Haskell School of Expression", Paul Hudak, Cambridge University Press.
"Programming in Haskell", Graham Hutton, Cambridge University Press.
Internal assessment/final examination ratio 1:0