This paper covers the design and evaluation of interactive computer systems with a focus on users and usability. Topics covered include: designing and performing user studies, ethnography, automated usability evaluation and ethical issues involved in studying human-computer interaction.
Students should be be able to
- Identify major techniques for designing and evaluating systems involving user-interaction
- Select appropriate design/evaluation techniques and justify their relevance for particular tasks
- Design, perform and report on a practical user-based software evaluation task
- Recognise how ethical issues impact on user-based evaluation activities and defend the use of particular evaluation techniques
Three 300 level Computer Science papers including
COMP325 Introduction to Human-Computer Interaction
COMP425/525 Topics in Human-Computer Interaction
COMP439 Usability Engineering
Official Timetable Information
No set text - readings will be provided.
Slides, readings etc will be provided via Moodle.
Report of Participation in a User (Lab) Study 10%
Usability Tools Report 15%
User Test 25% * (Group project with individual components)
Two Method Application project(s) (2 x 25%) *
* = compulsory assessment items
439 students will do smaller Method Application projects
Internal assessment/final examination ratio 1:0
Class attendance is expected. The course notes provided are not comprehensive, additional material will be covered in class.
Follow this link for Academic Integrity information and this link for detailed explanation of How to prevent plagiarism in Computer Science assessment items.
Follow this link for information on Performance Impairment.
Student Concerns and Complaints
Follow this link for Student Concerns and Complaints information.
Application for Extension
Follow this link for information on applying for an Extension.
Review of Grade
Follow this link for information on applying for a Review of Grade.
Your attention is drawn to the following regulations and policies, which are published in the University Calendar: