Stuff about me!
Who am I?
- FULL NAME:
- Timothy William Edward Elphick
- LIVING ARRANGEMENT:
- Sherpa lives in our house, Jacqui and I visit it sometimes.
- WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT OUIJA BOARDS?
- More comfortable to use than an iMac keyboard.
- YOUR FAVOURITE TV SHOW?
- Carnivale, and Firefly.
- WHAT'S ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
- My desk surface of fake wood veneer, i.e. I don't have one.
- FAVOURITE BOARD GAME:
- Settlers of Catan (Die Siedler von Catan).
- FAVOURITE MAGAZINE:
- Empire (thanks again Jacqui for the subscription), Model Railroader
- FAVOURITE SMELLS:
- Hot cinnamon toast with lots of butter
- WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD:
- Cramped muscles while inside a cast
- BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD:
- Handing in a finished assignment.
- FAVOURITE SOUNDTRACK:
- Cat People
- WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN YOU WAKE IN THE MORNING?
- How long can I lie in bed before I have to get up and go to the loo.
- HOW MANY RINGS BEFORE YOU ANSWER THE PHONE?
- less than 8, or the answer-machine gets it.
- FUTURE SON'S NAME:
- James Hamish
- FUTURE DAUGHTER'S NAME:
- Illya Mae
- FAVOURITE FOODS:
- Welsh rare-bit on toast, black pepper
- DO YOU GET ALONG WITH YOUR PARENTS:
- Yes, but I should ring them more.
- CHOCOLATE OR VANILLA?
- FAVOURITE ICE CREAM:
- Mint trumpet
- CROUTONS OR BACON BITS:
- DO YOU LIKE TO DRIVE?:
- Not really
- DO YOU SLEEP WITH STUFFED ANIMALS:
- STORMS - COOL OR SCARY:
- Scary, but I love the wind just prior to a storm.
- WHAT TYPE WAS YOUR FIRST CAR?
- Austin Maxi (how cool is that!)
- IF YOU COULD MEET ONE PERSON, DEAD OR ALIVE, WHO WOULD IT BE?
- Mike Oldfield
- FAVOURITE ALCOHOLIC DRINK:
- Aadvocat fluffy duck, Ice wine
- WHAT IS YOUR ZODIAC SIGN?
- Capricorn (and a sheep in years)
- WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE POET?
- Fish (assuming lyrics count).
- DO YOU EAT THE STEMS OF BROCCOLI?
- GUYS -- IF A GIRL ASKED FOR THE SHIRT OFF YOUR BACK, WOULD YOU GIVE IT?
GIRLS -- WOULD YOU EVER ASK A GUY FOR HIS SHIRT?
- Probably, if she needed it.
- IF YOU COULD HAVE ANY JOB YOU WANTED, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
- Recording Engineer/Producer/Remixer in a music studio.
- IF YOU COULD HAVE YOUR HAIR ANY COLOUR, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
- HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN LOVE?
- WHAT IS ON YOUR WALLS IN YOUR ROOM?
- Pictures of a romantic, foreign place
- IS THE GLASS HALF EMPTY OR HALF FULL?
- Depends on whether I have just poured it or just drunk from it.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SNAPPLE?
- I saw some Snapple's when we visited America last year, so now this question makes so much more sense.
We tried the "Kiwi" flavoured one, which had a Kangaroo on the cover saying it was the Kiwi's favourite drink. What the...?
- FAVOURITE MOVIE(S)?:
- Rocky Horror Picture Show
- ARE YOU A LEFTY, RIGHTY OR AMBIDEXTROUS?
- DO YOU TYPE WITH YOUR FINGERS ON THE RIGHT KEYS?
- IF YOU WERE A GARDENING TOOL, WHAT WOULD YOU BE?
- A Rake (I wish!)
- WHAT'S UNDER YOUR BED?:
- Nothing. I know this, cause we recently turned the whole bedroom upside down looking for my wedding ring
- it was a Hans Jenson (a la "The One Ring") and I certainly felt like Gollum yelling "LOST!".
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE NUMBER?:
- WHAT IS YOUR DREAM CAR?:
- 2l Galant sports hatchback (hey, I have small dreams).
- FAVOURITE SPORT TO WATCH:
- Formula One
Where did I come from?
I was born (surprised?) in Cambridge Hospital, England, a relatively short time ago,
c.f. dinosaurs. I was then placed in the airing cupboard and forgotten about.
This was probably a very telling portent.
In 1973, I immigrated to NZ, and settled in Tauranga, in the sunny Bay of Plenty.
Many people ask me why I came out to New Zealand, which is a futile question,
as my whole family was moving, and McAulay Caulkin wasn't alive yet, let alone acting
(sic), so being home alone was not very chic.
I had a sheltered upbringing in Tauranga, (must be all of the kiwifruit orchards).
Tauranga is NZ's answer to the bible belt - it is illegal to play
Dungeons and Dragons in a public place, and the most common occupation is "retired".
I attended Tauranga Boys College, a stoic place that teaches the three R's of Rowing,
Rugby and cRicket, and produces decent, upstanding people like Richard O'Brien.
After I had finished my time there, I then came to uni at Hamilton, and my life began.
What do I do around here?
You have probably already read my blurb in the Tutors page, so it would be redundant
to say that I am a Senior Tutor in Computer Science at the University of Waikato, involved
in the preparation and teaching of the first and second year computer science courses, namely
But I have just said it anyway.
Actually, I am just here to eat my sammies and be a sounding board for
Phil to bounce
ideas off. I used to look after important things, but now
Nilesh is the lackey, so he
gets all of the "little" jobs.
Mostly I just play "hand-eye coordination exercises
that promote lateral thinking and problem solving skills", of which MacBOSS and
Marathon are my favourites, but sadly don't work on my new Mac.
I am also playing a lot of GalaxyNG (play by email, conquor the universe, etc) and have even won a game - yay!
What is my purpose in life?
(This space left intentionally blank)
Where are we going for lunch?
Choose any one of the following Eateries.
Go back to tim's homepage